About Career as a Scientist
If Science is the subject matter that has spellbound you since your childhood then you can certainly believe of becoming a scientist. It is a job profile that includes a huge arena of Science as a subject in deep detail. If you have an interest in biology then you can prefer to become a botanist, cytologist, ethologist or any other distinguishing biological scientist. Similarly, you can choose for diverse options for job as a scientist in the ground of Physics or Chemistry as per your knowledge.
A Scientist is a person who has participation in scientific activities which focusing mainly on acquiring knowledge to foresee and explain the world around us. Right from finding out the origin to survival and extinction, the work of a scientist comprises of all. The role of a scientist can be recognized in all promising spheres of biological and non-biological, celestial and non-celestial bodies, communicational and non-communicational actions. So, if you are planning to become a scientist then you can travel around all the fields present right around you.
Eligibility to Pursue a career as a Scientist
If one wishes to become a Scientist then he must have the answer to the question of how to become a scientist. The first step towards becoming a Scientist or to pursue a career as a scientist is to have a strong science background at the 12 level. Keep in mind your degree must be from a renowned board or institution. Candidates must also own a bachelor’s (UG), master’s (PG) and Ph.D. degree for this job profile along with internships in the related field. Given below is the eligibility criteria required for becoming a Scientist.
Subject – Science Stream
Entrance Exam – Institutional and other Subject related entrance exam
Eligibility Criteria –
- Candidates must memorize that they need to have a Bachelor (UG) degree from alleged college or institution.
- Graduation must be in any of the Science stream only that the candidate wants to follow for the purpose of specialization in a particular field.
- Candidates can choose for variation combination of Science subjects with Biology as one of the main subject.
- A minimum of 60% aggregate marks is obligatory in the graduation (UG) level.
- Master’s (PG) in a detailed stream from a renowned institution is required with at least 65% aggregate marks in the final paper.
- The final degree will be of a Doctoral degree or Ph.D. in the science subject.
Why to choose a career as a Scientist
- By becoming a Scientist, you are concerning to create a history out of your research resources.
- You are indulged in a lot of thrilling experiments and research works that will keep hold of your interest throughout the work.
- A good package is together with your supposed post.
- Many times, you will be concerned in saving the lives of many people who are around you which will provide a sense of superiority and esteem to work harder.
- You will learn new things with every research or experiment that you begin with. This will assist you in answering all your curiosities.
- You will have a large role in budding technology and innovations.
Top Colleges to purse your career as a Scientist
- BU , Bhopal
- SRM University, Amaravati
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Reasearch, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of science Education and Research,Pune
- St. Xaviers College, Mumbai
- S.S. Jain Sobidh P.G College, Jaipur
- DG Vaishnav College, Chennai
- Tezpur University, Tezpur
Types of Job Roles in career as a Scientist
There are a number of distinct fields that can help you in become a Scientist. The different types of Scientists are based on the arrangement and specification studies and expertized in. Given below are the scientist job profiles and also about the type of work they do and then select the one that suits your concern.
Marine Biologist: This is the one who studies the marine organisms constituting of both the animals and plants. The study reveals the communication and behaviour of these organisms with the environment. A deep research on aquatic plants and animals are prepared by the Marine Biologists after mastering on biological oceanography and geological oceanography. These two streams improve the research work and help in depicting a obvious picture of the research carry out by the Marine Biologist.
Astronomer: This is the one who studies regarding stars, galaxies and planets. Studying about the universe and the movement of the objects within it is the main focus area of the Astronomers. These are specialists who reads regarding the planetary movements and also tracks celestial and non-celestial objects of the external space.
Agronomist: This is the field of Science that deals with the study of agriculture and its technological enlargement. The person concerned in carrying out the procedure of research and development giving rise to agricultural advancement is an Agronomist. It is generally referred as Plant Scientists, they are persons who read about the type and genetic survival of a plant, agricultural land and soil in order to manufacture the best out it.
Botanist: A specialist of the Plant Science or Botany is termed as a Botanist. They study regarding the flowering and non-flowering plants there in the environment. The structure, growth, evolution and uses of the plants are deliberate in detail by them. There are definite classified areas of Botany that structures and divides the job of a Botanist they are– Plant Ecology, Plant Taxonomy and Chemical Biology. A Botanist can pick any one area of expertise among these and work as per the condition of the subject-matter.
Epidemiologist: They study the spread of diseases in the human body. It is that branch of Science that aims to take out the source origin of a disease and works on it to find a solution or remedies to heal the spreading or immature disease. They also learn the behaviour and habits of the individual before and after inducing a appropriate drug for the spreading disease.
Cytologist or Cytotechnologist: These scientists are the ones who work to explain the cell and the cellular movements and variations. It is a sub-stream of Biology focusing mainly on the cells. Study of DNA, cell structure, cell multiplication, cell functioning and life history and pathology of cells, are addressed by a Cytologist.
Ethologist: They are specializes in the study of animal behaviour. Their chief focus is to recognize the behaviour of animals under natural conditions and under man-made conditions. They also make sure the adaptive traits of the animals in an unnatural or evolutionary condition.
Microbiologists: They study of Fungi, Algae and Bacteria. Dealing with the development, structure and growth of the microscopic animals and plants is the role of the Microbiologists. Their role also comprises of the study of disease-causing organisms and organisms accountable for environmental damages. Study of the organisms that are of agricultural and industrial interest also comes under the study of a Microbiologist.
Geologist: They study the three states of matters like Solid, Liquid and Gaseous substance, constituting the Earth and other terrestrial planets. They studies in detail about the Earth Processes, Earth History and Earth resources. From tectonic movements resulting in earthquake, volcanic eruption, floods and landslides to ecological sustainability of plants and soil materials are catered by these experts.
Seismologist: They studies the details about an earthquake. The reason behind an earthquake and connected after-effects above and beneath the Earth are studied by these scientists only. Their researches disclose the expected disaster that can be caused due to the tectonic movements and also find out the areas that are more prone to such major activities.
Meteorologist: These scientists studies about the climate and weather. Examination on the climatic condition and the changes that have been or might take place are recorded by them. They may indulge in forecasting weather or may bond to the research area of the weather only. These scientists forecast the climatic disaster that may take place and also help several people to vacate from the surrounding area of danger.
Paleontologist: These scientists are the investigators of the fossils (remainigs). They study the record of life on Earth based on the composed fossils. These leftovers are studied for the reason of calculation of the existence of the fossils found. They also dig out the reason of the loss of the remains and also conserve them to understand the primitive environment in a more clear way. These scientists work in the contact with the archaeologists to discover more connected conclusion.
Employment Opportunities for Scientists
With a dedicated interest in Science and Research, candidates can choose for a career like this. For the ones who seek to become a Scientist must know the diverse employment opportunities available for them as a Scientist. To help candidates we have set a list of industries were the employment opportunities for scientists are easily accessible. Given below is the list for the same:
- Indian Ministries – Mining, Ore, Archeology, Geology, etc.
- Medical Centers/Institutions
- Manufacturing and Warehouse Units
- Animal Care Centers
- Wildlife Sanctuaries
- Healthcare Centers/Institutions
- Food and Beverage Industry
- Research Centers/Institutions
- Aeronautical Associations
- Mining Industry
Pay Scale of a Scientist
Given below is the table of various Job Profiles along with their salary –
|Job Profile||Starting Salary per annum||Middle Level Salary per annum||Senior Level Salary per annum|
|Astronomer||6,00,000 – 8,00,500||8,00,000 – 10,00,500||10,00,000 – 15,00,500|
Top Recruiting Companies for Scientists
For becoming a Scientist, it is important that the candidates obtain significant degrees and certificates along with accepted journals. Bearing in mind these qualifying documents, companies will hire these promising, talented and enthusiastic scientists with a good pay-scale and wanted post. There are a number of top recruiting companies for scientist that the aspirants can choose for. Given below are the companies or top organisations that are hiring scientists-
Also read : Acharya Narendra Dev College
- Indian Airforce
- Ministry of Mines
- Aero Control
- ASRC Aerospace Corporation
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)
- ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization)
- ASI (Archaeological Survey of India)
- IISER (Indian Institute of Science Education & Research)
- International Flavors& Fragrances India Ltd
- NCCS (National Centre For Cell Science)
- (InStem) Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
- (ADA) Aeronautical Development Agency)
Reminder: The figures given above are estimated values and may vary from one company to the other company.
Study Material to Become a Scientist
Becoming a scientist can be tricky if your educational qualification and preparation lack at the back. All you need to do is to obtain professional degrees from an apparent institution. To do so you will need to come into view for associated entrance exams. Hence, there are no particular books that can organize you for this career. Being responsive and ready to grasp every learning opportunity that comes your way combined with hard work is the trick to become a successful Scientist. It is also significant for you to experience the on-the-job knowledge exposure to become more recognizable with the experiments and research activities. The more you study & put into practice your gained experience, the chances of you becoming an expert in this field will also increase many folds, which will then reflect in your pay package.
To help you through with the learning experience of becoming a victorious Scientist. Here is the list of few of the top searched and read books of well-known authors that will not only help you in deeply understanding your subject-matter but will also help you in budding your skills and knowledge too.
- Encyclopaedia of Space Science and Technology by Maureen Salkin, written by Hans Mark Publication.
- The Story of Earth written by Robert M. Hazen
- Microbiology: Principles & Explorations written by Jacquelyn G Black
- Modern Epidemiology written by Kenneth Rothman
- Measuring Behaviour written by Patrick Bateson and Paul Martin
- Cell Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Evolution and Ecology written by P S Verma.
- The Mammoth Book of Unexplained Phenomena: From bizarre biology to inexplicable astronomy written by Roy Bainton.
- When Life Never Died written by Michael J. Benton
For more information must visit : Education In India