Check Computational Biology Courses in India here .
What is computational Biology?
Computational biology is the term that answer the question “How can one learn and use models of biological systems constructed from experimental measurements?” These models may express how biological tasks are carried out by particular nucleic acid or peptide sequences, which genes are expressed manufacture a particular phenotype or behavior, what series of changes in gene or protein expression or localization leads to a particular disease, and also tells how changes in cell organization influence cell behavior. This field is referred to as bioinformatics, but a lot of scientists make use of the latter term to describe the ground that answer the question “How one can proficiently store, search, explain and compare information from biological measurements and observations?”
A number of factors contribute to the perplexity between the terms, including the fact that one of the top journals in computational biology is titled as “Bioinformatics” and that in German for example, is referred to as “informatik” and computational biology is referred to as “bioinformatik.” In any case, the two fields are closely linked to each other, since “bioinformatics” systems typically are needed to provide data to “computational biology” systems that create models, and the results of those models that are often returned for storage in “bioinformatics” databases.
Modern Biology makes wide use of biological databases to try to deal with many different challenges such as understanding the treatment for diseases and cellular function. Datasets can be created from amino-acid sequences, nucleotides, macromolecular structures and so on. Recent advancements in technology are also enabling us to store an unbelievable amount of data.
Also Check Time Gap Between Jee Mains and Advanced
Given below is a list of some of the subjects which you will study in a Computational Biology course:
- Database Management System
- Molecular Evolution
- Biodiversity and IPR
- Immunology and Pharmacology
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Genomics and Proteonomics
- Molecular Modelling and Molecular Dynamics
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Communication Skills in Science and Technology
- Analytical Methods in Biotechnology
- General Biology
- Programming Language
- Sequence Analysis
Required Skills in Computational Biology
An scholastic program in Computational Biology guide students to use techniques of mathematical modeling in order to put biological problems in a quantitative form. In order to pursue a career in this field, here is a list of pivotal skills one will need for sure:
- Familiarization with programming languages and software like Python, R, Galaxy Bash, Java, C, C++, etc.
- Ability to hold Bioinformatics Tools like Bio-edit, Blast, Clustalw, T-coffee sequence analysis algorithms, BLAT.
- Deep understanding of Data Mining techniques in order to solve biological problems.
- Understanding of different sub-fields of Life Sciences, that includes Molecular biology and Genetic biology.
Courses in Computational Biology
Courses in this field are gaining massive popularity as the sphere of medical science is rapidly adapting to technological advancements in every field. Given below is the list of top courses that you might consider in this field:
|BA/ Bachelor of Science in Computational|
|Master of Science in Computational|
|BS Major in Computational Science and|
|B.sc in Computational Science and|
|B.Sc in Bioinformatics and|
Computational Biology- Biological
|Graduate Pathway in Bioinformatics|
and Computational Biology
|PhD in Computational Biology/|
Computational Infection Biology
|B.Sc in Engineering- Biomedical|
|M.Sc in Computational Biology and|
|M.Sc in Bioinformatics and|
Top Universities Offering Computational Biology Courses
There are abundant of educational institutions across the world that will provide a plethora of programs in Computational Biology and its associated fields. Given below is a list of some of the leading universities that you must consider:
- The University of Queensland, Australia
- University of South California, United States
- Dalhousie University, Canada
- Florida State University, United States
- University College Cork, Ireland
- George Mason University, United States
- University College Dublin, Ireland
- Stanford University, United States
- Harvard University, United States
- University of Toronto, Canada
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- The University of Melbourne, Australia
Computational Biologist can discover job opportunities in plentiful sectors such as Pharmaceuticals, Research and Development, Agriculture, etc. For those wannabe for higher studies, they can opt for a PhD and Master’s in Computational Biology and explore the research field. After completion of an UG or PG programme in Computational Biology. Given below are the jobs from which you can choose:
- Biology Content Developer
- Bio Composting Executive
- Biomedical Technical
- Computer and Information Research Scientist
- Computational Biochemist
- Senior Research Assistant/Associate (Biology)
- Molecular Biologist
- University Professor
This is It in Computational Biology Courses in India . Check more on Institutions in India .