BSc in Environmental Science is an undergraduate (UG) course that aims to convey knowledge to the qualified students on sustainable improvement, ecological sustainability, environmental health, etc. The course is particularly meant for the students who desire to have a clear understanding of different environmental issues and the measures which can be undertaken in order to defend the environment.
This course has a whole duration of 3 years and consists of 6 semesters with duration of 6 months each/ half yearly. For distance learning programs or corresponding course, the minimum duration is 3 years whereas the maximum duration is about 6 years.
Various important subjects in the course include Biology, Social Science, Environmental Science, Ecology, Geography, and Technology. During the whole course, the students are taught to develop a scientific perceptive of the environment and investigate a variety of global environmental issues.
To be qualified for this course, the students must pass 12th class from a renowned board. The admission process is generally direct. However, some of the colleges/ universities may conduct entrance exams.
What is BSc in Environmental Science?
It is a specialized course that is meant to guide the students in different fields related to the environment which include Ecology, Environment Impact Assessment, Natural Resources Conversation, Pollution Management Techniques, and Environmental Protection Laws. This course primarily helps to:
- Develop a scientific approach and creative thinking skill.
- Understand the variety of phenomena of nature and how human beings are linked to such environmental phenomena.
- Discover the variety of problems we face connected to nature and find out a solid solution to those problems.
- Expose the students to different projects and fieldwork for a healthier understanding of the environment.
- To understand what impact our environment can have on human lives in common.
Given below are some criteria that has to be qualified by the student:
- He/ She must pass their 12th class examination in science subjects from a renowned board.
- The student must also have a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in both 10th and 12th class examinations. Assured relaxation of marks will be provided to the SC/ ST/ OBC/ PwD candidates.
BSc in Environmental Science Highlights
|Full Form||Bachelors of Science in Environmental Science|
|Time Duration||3 years|
|Eligibility criteria||Passed 12th class from a renowned board with minimum aggregate marks of 50%. Some colleges may also conduct an entrance examination.|
|Admission procedure||Merit-Based or Direct process|
|Course fee||INR 20,500 – INR 300,500|
|Average salary||INR 3.2 LPA – INR 5.3 LPA|
|Job profile||Pollution Control Officer, Environmentalist, Waste Management Officer, Environment Consultant.|
|Top recruiting sectors||Conversation Bodies, Environmental Management, Research and Development, Public Sectors, Environmental Consultancies|
Why to Study a BSc in Environmental Science?
This course is one such course that is not only wealthy for the students but will also help to develop nature and preserve the different natural resources. Environmental science is one of the compulsory courses in India.
Given below are some of the chief objectives of this course:
- The students will be able to examine a variety of complexities of the environment and find out a explanation to various environmental issues.
- The graduates will become qualified to conduct different research activities for a better understanding of nature. This will permit them to handle diverse global environmental issues.
- The subject is tremendously important in every sector of society. This is because keeping the environment clean is a chief requirement of every sector.
- The students will get outstanding placement opportunities. They can get a job as an environmentalist in diverse government sectors. They can work in NGOs and work on solving and educating people concerning various environmental issues.
- They can also work for private companies to find sol. for appropriate disposal of their waste material to decrease the amount of harm to the environment. With all these job options they will be able to receive an average salary of around 3.2 LPA-5.2 LPA as a fresher.
The admission to course is a direct process. The students are selected based on the marks acquired by them in their 12th class or any other corresponding examination. The admission forms are free shortly after the statement of the 12th class results like in the month of May or June.
To be relevant to any of the organization, the student will have to go throughout the given below processes:
- Filling up the form: The student will have to give their personal information and their scores in the prior examinations.
- Uploading the related documents: Documents such as marksheets of class 12th, results of any common entrance test (CET), residential & caste certificates are compulsory.
- Liberation of Merit-list: The students will be evaluated based on their marks scored in class 12th examination, and a merit list of shortlisted students will be free.
- Counseling/ Interview: Some institutes call students for a personal interview (PI), some may call for counseling, where the student has to opt the course, and acquire their documents confirmed, and pay the preliminary amount.
- Enrollment: Once you pay the quantity, you are now enrolled.
Procedure to get admission in a good college
- In regulate to get admitted to one of the best BSc Environmental Science colleges, the students must execute well in the 12th exam. Since admissions into majority of colleges are based on merit, scoring excellent marks in 12th will assist to clear the cut-off and to get admission in the college of your’s choice.
- Some colleges carry out admissions through entrance exams. So, execute well in the following examination, if applying for that colleges. Some may also carry out a personal interview (PI) previous to admission. In that case, you will also have to present your top performance at the interview.
- You should keep a pathway of all the significant dates which are connected with the admission process. It is always suggested that you note down all the dates. This will make sure that you do not miss any significant events connected to the admission process.
- Some of these significant dates take in the date of submission of the application form, date of the entrance exam, date of admission, and many more.
BSc Environmental Science Entrance Exams
A lot of of the colleges and universities arrange entrance examinations for entrance to the BSc in Environmental Science course. Given below are some of the major entrance tests:
- CUCET 2021: Central University Common Entrance Test (CUCET) is a national level entrance examination, conducted by Rajasthan Central University. This examination is conducted for admission into undergraduate UG, postgraduate PG, and doctorate courses in a variety of central and state universities. The test comprises of 100 MCQs that require to be solved within 2 hours.
- LPUNEST 2021: It is the common entrance test (CET) for Lovely Professional University. It is an online computer based exam of 2.5 hours and is held twice annually.
- NIMSEE 2021: it is conducted every year for admission into a variety of courses under NIMS University, Jaipur. It is a national level examination and is conducted in offline mode only. The medium of examination is English and the total number of questions asked is 200 MCQs.
- NMIMS NPAT 2021: Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS) conducts an entrance examination every year for admission to the different undergraduate (UG) courses accessible by the university. The examination is held in the month of May approximately.
- KCET 2021: It is the common entrance test (CET) for admission into a variety of government and private institutes of Karnataka. The application forms are free in February and the examination is held in the month May.
|Entrance Examination||Mode of Examination||Duration||Date of Application||Date of Examination|
|CUCET 2021||Online||2 hours||March 2021||May 2021|
|LPUNEST 2020||Online||2 hours 30 minutes||January 2021||May 2021|
|NIMSEE 2021||Online||2 hours||April 2021||May 2021|
|NMIMS NPAT 2020||Online||2 hours||February 2021||May 2021|
|KCET 2020||Online||2 hours||February 2021||May 2021|
Firstly, you require to know the syllabus appropriately. Steps of how to prepare for the BSc in Environmental Science entrance test-
- Split the entire syllabus into smaller sub-parts. Read all the syllabus in detail. Candidate need to have a very good grasp on your 12 class syllabus.
- Never go for last-minute training. Always try to begin preparing with enough time in hand. Also, maintain some time for your revision.
BSc Environmental Science Top Colleges
- There are plentiful colleges that present this course, both in government and private. Some of the top colleges offering BSc in Environmental Science in India are given below:
|Name of the College||Average Total Fee||Average Salary|
|Fergusson College, Pune||INR 33,500||INR 2.6 LPA|
|Mount Carmel College, Bangalore||INR 1,26,500||INR 2.98 LPA|
|Amity University, Noida||INR 3,06,500||INR 3.2 LPA|
|St. Xaviers College, Ahmedabad||INR 35,000||INR 3.8 LPA|
|NIMS University, Jaipur||INR 90,500||INR 4.9 LPA|
|Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar||INR 1,59,500||INR 3.2 LPA|
|CSJM Kanpur University, Kanpur||INR 55,000||INR 3.5 LPA|
|Deogiri College, Aurangabad||INR 14,500||INR 3.2 LPA|
|Integral University, Lucknow||INR 80,500||INR 3.8 LPA|
|Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||INR 1,98,500||INR 3.4 LPA|
BSc Environmental Science Syllabus
BSc Environmental Science is a three-year degree course with six semesters. The syllabus may somewhat differ from one university to another university, but the topics/ syllabus that are usually built-in in the course are given below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|The Ecological System||The Ecological System|
|Natural Resources Management||Natural Resources Management|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Environmental economics||Environment and Development|
|Sustainable Development||Environmental Education|
|Resource Economics||Environmental Protection Strategies|
|Environmental Policies||Environmental Planning for the Future|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Man and Environment||Ecological Resources Conservation|
|Air Pollution Control||Disaster Management|
|Water Pollution Control||Research Methodology|
|Diverse Pollution Control||Bachelor’s Thesis|
Job Prospects and Career Options
BSc Environmental Science is a good quality course to begin a professional career because global organizations usually employ environmental science graduates for the position of an environmentalist.
The graduates can also hold themselves in research activities in different private and public sectors. They can also obtain jobs in the media sector as an environment journalist.
Given below is the list of some of the widespread job profiles of the BSc Environmental Science candidates all along with their individual job descriptions and salaries:
Also read : NEET Exam Pattern 2021
|Profiles||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Environment Journalists||They are basically reporters who gather various informations connected to the environment and present them before the world. They help to generate environmental awareness between the people.||INR 4.2 LPA – INR 4.5 LPA|
|Environment Photographers||They mostly work in dangerous locations and collect vital images related to the environment. These images are then in print in journals, the media, & magazines.||INR 3.5 LPA – INR 4.6 LPA|
|Conservation Hydrologist Conservation||They are mostly responsible for taking care of water bodies. They collect water samples from different water bodies and analysis them to verify the pollution level, pH, etc.||INR 4 LPA- INR 6.4 LPA|
|Director of Waste Management||It takes care of management and disposal of waste. They are in charge for recycling functions & waste dealing.||INR 5.2 LPA- INR 6 LPA|
|Catastrophe Modeler||It combines the different elements of science and technology and generates statistical data to realize the impact of manmade activities on nature.||INR 5.5 LPA- INR 6 LPA|
After completion of BSc in Environmental Science, the graduates can set out for jobs or can choose to do higher studies. Given below are some of the future scope after BSc Environmental Science:
- Master’s degree: The graduates can decide to do a master’s degree (PG) program in various courses which include MSc Environmental Science, Masters in sustainable forest resource management, Masters in Disaster Management, Masters in renewable energy, Masters in Remote Sensing, and many more.
- Management course: They can move for an MBA, which is entitled for graduates from any field. MBA can help the students to get a higher pay scale inside an organization.
- Prepare for government exams: The graduates can organize for government examinations and can acquire jobs as an environmentalist in the Pollution control board, forest reserves, and many more.
- They can concern for jobs in private companies. Most of the industries employ such graduates to correctly direct their waste disposal.
- Join NGOs & work for the worldwide cause or educate people concerning environmental issues.
- Work as an entrepreneur by opening a business that works on waste stuff.
For more information visit : Education In India