About How to become a Clothing Designer in Bollywood
Costume designers are fashion specialists who design clothes, footwear, accessories and other fashion attires that are rummage-sale in theatre, film and TV. They work carefully with the managements, producers, as well as a clothing design team to safeguard that the attires that will be made are exactly based on what the story, play or script requires.
The responsibility of a costume designer is to brand sure that the clothes, as well as the fittings, reflect the vibe, character and story of culture, character, age, association and position. They have to prudently read the writing and come up with apt clothes to fit the story. The job role of a clothing designer contains of research, design, sewing and drawing get-ups are used in stage shows, movies, theatres and manufactures.
Responsibilities of a Costume Designer
Here are a few errands of a costume designer:
- Looking for present fashion trends and make forecasts about the upcoming ones.
- Designing and stitching the creation in order to create a example.
- Going finished the script/ narrative of the act in order to imagine and bring the characters to life.
- Sympathetic the obligation of the client and delivery creative ideas to justify it.
- Discussing views with the customer and making alterations as well the new developments.
- Amassing ideas through sketches, mood boardings photographs or rough designs.
- Giving the final example to the client and finalising the costume.
Eligibility to become How to become a Clothing Designer in Bollywood
Following are the suitability criteria of a clothing designer including the minimum academic qualification, skills and work knowledge.
|Qualification Required||Bachelor’s Degree or a Master’s Degree in Apparel, Costume or Fashion Design. Students with Diploma in Apparel, Costume or Fashion Design are also eligible.|
|Skills||Sound Communication Skills Good listener Creativity Attention to Detail Sketching/ Drawing Skills Visualisation Time management.|
|Work Experience||Not obligatory, however, 1-2 years of work contribution with top firms/ makers can deliver great service chances.|
Courses to Become a Costume Designer
Here are a few courses that a discrete can follow in order to learn the right ability and skills and become a positive costume designer:
|Course||Course Duration||Average Fee per Year||Top Design Colleges|
|B. Des in Fashion Design||4 Years||Rs. 3 Lakh to 6 Lakh||Arch Academy of Design (ARCH), Jaipur Whistling Woods International (WWI), Mumbai Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar Vogue Institute or Art and Design (VIAD), Bangalore Maier’s MIT Institute of Design (MITID), Pune Indian Institute of Art & Design (IIAD), Delhi LISAA School of Design (LISAA), Bangalore|
|B.A. in Fashion Design||3 Years||Rs. 1.7 Lakh to Rs. 3 Lakh|
|B. Sc in Costume Design & Fashion||3 Years||Rs. 1.7 Lakh to Rs. 3 Lakh|
|M. Des in Fashion Design||2 Years||Rs. 3.7 Lakh to Rs. 5 Lakh|
|M.A. in Costume Design||2 Years||Rs. 1.7 Lakh to Rs. Rs. 2.5 Lakh|
|M. Sc in Costume Design & Fashion||2 Years||Rs. 1.7 Lakh to Rs. Rs. 3 Lakh|
|Diploma in Costume Design and Dress Making||3 Years||Rs. 0.9Lakh to Rs. 2 Lakh|
Types of Job Roles Costume Designer
The job outlines of a costume designer are just not incomplete to the field of scheming costumes. They design the whole costume and fittings to go lengthways with it. Listed below are some of the general job profiles for a costume designer:
Accessory Designer: An addition designer is accountable for conceptualizing, designing and making a range of crops that accompaniment fashion clothes and images such as jewellery pieces, handbags, belts, scarves, hair accessories, footwear etc.
Jewellery Designer: Jewellery creators work with dissimilar metals and gravels to create new lovely intricate pieces of wearable art.
Footwear/Shoe Designer: Footwear designers are accountable for designing original and applied designs of shoes and other footgear. Footwear scheming is a world in itself as it ranges from high highway fashion shoes to sports shoes, to kids’ shoes to stage shoes and others.
Leather Accessory Designer: Leather addition designers design and make various leather goods and fittings such as belts, hats, jackets shoes etc.
Men’s Accessories/ Costume Designer: Men’s fittings designers are answerable for designing men’s headwear, neckwear, bracelets, scarves, and other small accessories.
Fashion Designer: They are answerable to design clothes that are not only purposeful but also appealingly pleasing. A fashion designer curates the ideas and notions for clothing styles often by drawing or sketching.
Also read: GPAT Syllabus 2022:
Employment Opportunities for Costume Designers
A mainstream of the getup designers prefers employed freelance but there is an plenty number of job chances for costume designers in many sectors. Approximately of them are listed below:
- Fashion Houses
- Production Houses
- Designer Stores
- Jewellery Houses
- High-End Fashion Labels
Top Recruiting Companies for Costume Designers
Check out the leading companies that recruit costume designers here below:
- ITC Wills Lifestyle
Note: Skilled and creative costume designer also get to collaborate and work for high-end designers like Manish Malhotra, Anita Dongre, Anamika Khanna, Tarun Tahiliani and others.
Pay Scale/Salary of Costume Designer
The pay of costume designers may vary as per one’s specialized experience and the specialism they hold. The salary package of a clothing designer usually upsurges with knowledge and time. On average, a clothing designer makes around Rs. 51,000/- to Rs. 61,000/- per month.
|Job Profile||Starting Salary per annum||Mid-Level Salary per annum||Senior Level Salary per annum|
|Costume Designer||Rs.2,00,000 – Rs.4,00,000||Rs. 4,00,000 -Rs. 6,00,000||Rs. 8,00,000 and above|
Note: The overhead salary packages are an estimate and may vary from separate to individual and company to company.
Books & Study Material How to become a Clothing Designer in Bollywood
Applicants who are preparation to hunt a career in clothing designing must appear in design arrival exams. Most of the project exams are institute specific such as NID DAT, etc. It is very significant for an candidate to have a original bent of attention and to have an eye for clothing designing. Here are some of the books that can help in ornamental the skills, aptitude and information to become a Clothing Designer:
- Costume Design: Methods of Modern Masters by Lynn Petal
- Costume Designer’s Handbook: A Whole Guide for Amateur and Professional Costume Designers by Rosemary Gingham
- Get-up Design in the Movies by Elizabeth Leese
- Costume Design 101: The Commercial and Art of Creating Costumes for Film and Television by Richard La Motte
- The Art and Practice of Costume Design 1st Version by Holly Poe Durbin
Pros of How to become a Clothing Designer in Bollywood
- Vocation as a costume designer offers one with the final job gratification as you watch other superstars wearing your art.
- One of the main advantages of being a clothing designer is that you have the option to start your own commercial and flourish in it.
- The job of a clothing designer is very original and fun and one gets to join famous stage demonstrations and other public events.
- For persons who love to travel, a job as a costume designer can be very talented and satisfying.
Cons of becoming a Costume Designer
- The job of a clothing designer is very demanding as it includes long employed hours. One has to encounter the limits and order a lot of provisions throughout events and shows.
- Occasionally a costume fashionable comes across a very difficult client. To be fruitful in this field, it becomes of great importance to listen to the unreasonable demands of the client and come up with a quick solution.
- A clothing designer always has to stay efficient with the ongoing fashion trends and fashion statements.
- The manner industry is very modest and exhaustive. It can take countless years for a costume designer to make a place for themselves in this industry.
- For more information : Education in India