Jamia Hamdard begins with the establishment of a small Unani clinic in the year 1906 by Hakeem Hafiz Abdul Majeed, one of the well-known practitioners of Unani System of Medicine of his time. His illustrious son, Hakeem Abdul Hameed, carried forward the philosophy and objectives of Hamdard in independent India. His illustrious son, Hakeem Abdul Hameed, carried forward the philosophy and objectives of Hamdard in independent India.
Jamia Hamdard was inaugurated by Late Shri Rajiv Gandhi on August 01, 1989. Jamia Hamdard was conceived as a seat of higher learning in Unani Medicine, Islamic Studies, Biosciences, Pharmacy, Nursing and other areas of knowledge by its founder as a means of fulfilling the objects of the wakf. The campus was divided into various zones: auditorium, hostels, grounds, lecturer halls, etc. Last 10 years Jamia Hamdard has emerged as an outstanding institution of higher learning with distinct and focused academic programmes.
The graduate programme in Information Technology and Computer Applications and Post-graduate programmes in Information Technology, Computer Applications, Business Management, Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy have been started in the last few years. Undergraduate programmes in Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy are being introduced from this year. Jamia Hamdard offers postgraduate and doctoral programmes in several disciplines for which advanced facilities are available.
All India Institute Of Medical Sciences(AIIMS)
The AIIMS was established in 1956, as an autonomous institution through an Act of Parliament, to serve as a nucleus for nurturing excellence in all aspect of health care. In the field of medical research, AIIMS is the lead, having more than 600 research publications by its faculty and researchers in a year. AIIMS also runs a College of Nursing and trains students for B.Sc.(Hons.) Nursing post-certificate) degrees.
Objectives of AIIMS
- To develop a pattern of teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education in all its branches so as to demonstrate a high standard of medical education to all medical colleges and other allied institutions in India.
- To bring together in one place educational facilities of the highest order for the training of the personnel in all important branches of the health activity.
- to attain self-sufficiency in postgraduate in medical education.
Functions of AIIMS
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in medical and related physical biological sciences.
- Nursing and dental education
- Innovations in education.
- Producing medical teachers for the country.
- Research in medical and related sciences.
- Health care: preventive, promotive and curative; primary, secondary & tertiary.
- Community-based teaching and research